Dr. Hila Lifshitz-Assaf is an Associate Professor at NYU Stern. She is also a faculty associate at Harvard’s Lab for Innovation Science. Her work received the prestigious INSPIRE grant from the National Science Foundation, has been recognized to have a strong impact on industry, and has been taught at a variety of institutions around the world including MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, London Business School, Columbia, and Carnegie Mellon.
Hila spent 3 years at NASA, studying their adoption of open innovation processes, which led to many insights and an award-winning dissertation and paper. She continues to investigate new innovation processes such as crowdsourcing, open source, open online innovation communities, Wikipedia, hackathons, makeathons, etc.
In this conversation we discuss:
[2:47] Covid situation, teaching remotely.
[4:41] Leading COVID-19 hackathons, open innovation.
[10:37] Crisis as impetus for change.
[14:21] Developing curiosity in early childhood. Questioning boundaries.
[19:01] Pre-academic career: law, consulting, listening to people and seeing their psychology as business drivers.
[25:27] Getting interested in innovation, innovation as the "Big Question" of business.
[28:25] Working with NASA, NASA's culture.
[40:22] Open innovation study at NASA.
[48:01] How peoples' identity can hold innovation back.
[53:28] Growth mindset & belief.
[55:34] The pace of change.
[57:30] The causes of dysfunction.
[1:01:09] Embracing a little chaos.
[1:12:14] Bias towards action.
[1:14:10] Remote work & creativity.
[1:22:05] Managing for creativity.
[1:30:24] A short sermon for creative managers.
- Hila's Links
- Other Links
- Remake Podcast: Visit us: RemakePod.org
- 🙏🏻 Rate the show on iTunes
- 🙏🏻 Support us! Join the Podcast Member community
- 💌 Share your thoughts: email@example.com
- 👉 Listen or Subscribe to the show: Apple Podcasts・Google Podcasts・RadioPublic・Overcast・Stitcher・PocketCasts・Castro・SoundCloud・Spotify・YouTube・Deezer
- Remake Labs: RemakeLabs.com・Medium・LinkedIn・Community・Twitter・Facebook・Instagram
- Eran Dror: EranDror.com・LinkedIn・Twitter・Medium